The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966


Photo courtesy of Sanna LeVan 

The end of the line

Back When...

 

Photo courtesy of Sanna LeVan

A fine spring day in 1938 along Seward's original waterfront as an Alaska Railroad steam locomotive shuttles cargo to and from Seward's busy freight wharf for loading onto ocean bound freighters. In the 49th State, the steam age lasted until 1960 when Alaska's last coal powered train made a final run between Anchorage and the state fair at Palmer. In 1938, steam powered the railroad, ships and local industry including lumber mills producing construction materials visible on many of the flatcars. The last two major Seward area logging and milling operations shut down in the 1960s and after the 1964 earthquake and tsunami destroyed the historic downtown trestle and dock, railroad operations were moved nearer the head of Resurrection Bay to their present site.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2016

Rendered 12/23/2016 19:13