The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

By Lee Poleske
For The LOG 

Back When...

Bank of Seward established in 1905

 

Photo courtesy of Lee Poleske

The bank building shown on the above check was completed in the fall of 1906. It was built of cement blocks manufactured in Seward. It was 25 by 60 feet, with two stories and a basement.

The Bank of Seward was established in 1905 and opened for business on Feb. 6 of that year.

The bank building shown on the above check was completed in the fall of 1906. It was built of cement blocks manufactured in Seward. It was 25 by 60 feet, with two stories and a basement.

From 1938 to 1962 the Community Library was located in the bank basement.

The Bank of Seward was sold to the First National Bank of Anchorage and became the Seward branch of that bank in January 1952.

The current First National Bank Alaska building was built in 1975 and when it opened for business the old bank building was torn down.


 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2016

Rendered 12/10/2016 01:14