The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

Back When... Original Founders Monument

 

Photo courtesy of Lee Poleske

The original Seward Founders Monument was erected by the Elks Lodge in 1978.

The original Seward Founders Monument was erected by the Elks Lodge in 1978. Some years later the wooden platform deteriorated and was removed as a safety measure.

Upon the 75th anniversary of the founding of Seward on Aug. 28, 1903, the local Elks Lodge decided to sponsor the building of the original monument. The location is approximately where the original landing was made in 1903 by John Ballaine and his company who founded Seward as the southern terminus of the Alaska Central Railway. By 1909 the Seward-based railroad had reached Turnagain Arm operating with 51 miles of track.

The current Founders Monument, which replaced the original, was built in 2003 as a part of Seward’s Centennial celebration. The replacement is a cemented stone cairn topped with a steam engine weathervane. The site is on the shores of Resurrection Bay at Hoben Park where Railway Avenue and Ballaine Boulevard meet.

 
 

Reader Comments
(1)

gregorcarp writes:

What ever happened to the original monument?

 
 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2016

Rendered 12/20/2016 23:14