The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

Back When... Lots for Sale

 

On July 15, 1916 in the Alaska Evening Post and ad ran for lots for sale. On July 25 and 26, 1916 John and Frank Ballaine held auctions to sell lots in the original Seward town site, which went from the beach north to just beyond Monroe Street. The Balllaines, the founders of Seward, had acquired the town site after they reached an agreement in 1903 with Mary Lowell who relinquished her rights to a homestead claim for $4,000 and 37 city lots and then purchased an additional 160 acres with Soldiers' Additional Homestead scrip (John Ballaine had served in the Spanish American War).

The Post, a Seward newspaper, reported that 46 lots were purchased at the auctions for a total of over $30,000. The lots went at prices ranging from $250 to $2,000. At the time workers on the railroad earned from 50 to 85 cents an hour, a conductor earned $192 a month and an engineer earned $204 a month.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017