The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

Seward's second school

 

Seward Community Library Museum

Seward's second school built in 1914, operational in 1915.

In 1914, eight lots south of the Episcopal Church were purchased for this school which opened in January 1915 with 48 students. Many residents sent their children out of Alaska to high school as the Seward schools were not accredited for a 12-year program.

In 1927-28 high school without a graduating class was held in the Harriman Bank Building, now the Ray Building. A new elementary and high school building was constructed in 1928 on the block between Third and Fourth avenues and Madison and Monroe where the AVTEC culinary, student and dormitory buildings stand today.


 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017