The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

By Lee Poleske
For The LOG 

Back When...

Bartlett Post Office

 

Photo courtesy of Lee Poleske

Bartlett Post Office left a mark on Alaska, or at least its mail...

The Women's Division of Christian Service of the Methodist Church took over the abandoned army hospital at Fort Raymond in 1946 and established a tuberculosis hospital, the Seward Sanatorium and Rehabilitation Center.

The Sanatorium had its own post office for many years. It was named Bartlett, in honor of E. L. "Bob" Bartlett, Alaska's Delegate to the U. S. House of Representative at the time. It opened on May 6, 1949. The first postmaster was Melvin L. Anderson.

The post office and the Sanatorium both closed in 1958. During its 12 years of existence the Sanatorium treated 1,162 patients.

(Send your "Back when..." photo to the LOG for publication, editor@TheSewardPhoenixLOG.com.)

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2016

Rendered 12/10/2016 01:14