The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

By Wolfgang Kurtz
LOG Editor 

Back When...

Ballaine House in 1906, 1970s, today

 

Photo courtesy of Seward Community Library

Ballaine House in 1906

Less than three years after the Ballaine party landed near where the Alaska SeaLife Center stands today, upscale houses had been constructed along “North” Third Avenue along what became known as “Millionaire’s Row.” At the time these were some of the most well built and expensive homes in Alaska. Over the succeeding decades, affluent and influential residents dispersed to dwellings along the rest of the west side of Resurrection Bay. However, some of the original homes dating from the first decade of Seward’s founding remain in well kept condition.

The Ballaine House at the corner of Third and Madison, here in a July 30, 1906 photograph by Evans from the Ballaine Collection, was built and occupied by the fall of 1905. With the addition of an enclosed entryway replacing the porch and new siding, Lee Poleske captured the then 60-year-old house amidst drifts of snow in a mid-1970s winter. The fireplace and chimney have since been removed leaving the rest of the 108-year-old structure intact and looking almost like new.

(Send your “Back when...” photo to the LOG for publication, editor@TheSewardPhoenixLOG.com.)

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017

Rendered 11/17/2017 04:46