The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

By Lee Poleske
For The LOG 

Back when...

USCGC Haida docks at Seward

 

Photo courtesy of Lee Poleske

The Haida tied up at the Seward dock in the 1930s.

The Haida was commissioned in 1921 and soon joined the Bering Sea Patrol, based at Unalaska.

Her duties included providing medical services, search and rescue, maintaining aids to navigation, fishery patrols and enforcing Prohibition regulations.

In 1924 the Haida provided support for the Around-the-World flyers as they passed over Alaskan waters.

From 1943 to 1946 she was assigned to weather ship duty.

The Haida was decommissioned in 1947 and scrapped in 1951.

The designation of the ship on the photograph as U.S.S. Haida is wrong. It should be USCGC (United States Coast Guard Cutter) Haida.

(Send your “Back when...” photo to the LOG for publication, editor@TheSewardPhoenixLOG.com.)

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2016

Rendered 12/10/2016 01:14