The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

Turn back the pages — Feb. 21, 1974


Compiled by Julie Rosier

“Mini” pageant planned – Patricia Thorn informs the LOG that there will be a Miss Seward Scholarship “Mini-Pageant” this year, to be held March 1. It has been four years since a Miss Seward Pageant has been held – in 1970 Nancy Richie represented Seward and was first runner-up for Miss Alaska – taking a first in talent and for swim suit competition. The pageant scheduled for the next year seemed doomed from the start – first it was difficult to get enough girls to compete – then one girl was struck by a car and her leg was broken. The pageant was cancelled and never resumed. The Miss Alaska Pageant directors contacted Mrs. Thorn recently (she formerly directed the Miss Seward Pageants), requesting that she get a pageant going again. Four girls have agreed to compete – Sherry Lindley, Teresa Zimmerman, Sue Goodwin and Penny Heckel. The pageant will be billed as a “mini” this year as it is a last minute affair with no time to stage a “production.” The girls will appear in swimsuit, evening gown and talent competitions before a panel of out-of-town judges and an audience including Miss Alaska, Ginny Adams; Miss Kenai, Darby Morre; Peggy Hood, Executive Director of the Miss Alaska Pageant; and Jane Rigney, State Secretary, as well as friends and coaches.

Alcohol diagnostic team here Friday – Dr. Francis Phillips, who ran the Seward Tuberculosis San before it was closed, will be in Seward this Friday, Feb. 22. Phillips is now chairman of a diagnostic team for alcoholics. He will be accompanied by his nurse, Gail Adams, and Barbara Hoffman, alcoholism counselor and consultant. They will be at the Seward Alcoholism Center all day Friday and Friday evening. The diagnostic team will be available for consultation and will also advise on betterment of the local program.

RCA man addresses chamber of commerce — Lou Custrini, public relations director for RCA-Alascom, was guest speaker at the Thursday, Feb. 14 meeting of the Seward Chamber of Commerce. Custrini spoke on the topics of progress on the Seward-Anchorage microwave system for long distance, long distance operator service, and the applied for intrastate long-distance rate increase. Custrini told the group that RCA had planned to have the microwave system in operation by the end of January but certain technical problems had developed – sunlight reflecting on the translators given as an example – causing the system to malfunction. He said until RCA was satisfied with the components of the system it would not be turned on. He said the firm was in touch with the manufacturers of the components and the problems were being worked out. The system will provide Seward with several more circuits when it is in operation and will have the advantage of improved service for Moose Pass too – something that would not have been true if an “earth station system” had been chosen. Custrini said the amount of long-distance operators had been cut before Christmas – since that time however, it was decided that more cutting had been done than could be supported and more operators had been put on.

High school complex passes first hurdle: Board approves Abrahamson plan – A motion by Luther Abrahamson near the close of Monday night’s school board meeting asked that an architect be hired to prepare schematics for a new high school in Seward along with a gymnasium and swimming pool. His motion was seconded by Forrest Tressler. The affirmative vote was unanimous. This followed a motion by Bob Gerbitz of Homer to hire the firm of Jenkins and Bridges to draw up schematics on needs for the Homer schools. Gerbitz’s motion passed with a 5-2 vote – Carl Glick and Forrest Tressler casting the negative votes. Kenai High School plans for a $3,044,000 addition may be cut by $250,000 if action taken at the meeting stands. Difference involved is that between an Olympic sized “L” shaped pool and a 25-yard pool, larger than the Homer pool but comparable to those in the Anchorage schools. The total $3,044,000 package, including the larger pool was approved at the last meeting, but with Abrahamson asking reconsideration. After voting to reconsider the motion by Glick for the $3,044,000 construction on a 3-4 vote. President Ed Hollier, Tresler, and Glick voted in favor; Jerry Hobart, Dolly Farnsworth, Gerbitz, and Abrahamson opposed. A motion by Hobart, to accept the original schematics including the originally planned 25-yard pool, plus a $100,0000 music room addition as an alternate, was tabled. Estimated cost for this construction was $2,794,000.

Letter to editor (Herbert A. Stetson, Jr.) – Feb. 14 in the evening, our 14-year-old daughter was involved in what, except for the miracle of circumstances, could have been a tragic accident. A vehicle struck her and two companions as they were walking near the roadway on one of our main streets. By the time we were notified and arrived at the scene a number of people were already there assisting in whatever manner they could. Coats and blankets were offered. A young man who had learned his first aid the hard way, in Vietnam, remembered his lessons well, gently removing Robian from the ice, snow and water in which she was sprawled, onto an improvised stretcher. Roy Starr brought around his pickup and a piece of plywood to use to transport her to the hospital although Jerry Tuthill, of our ambulance corps, soon arrived and relieved him of the duty. DUTY? Who writes the book or makes the rules? I am not articulate enough to express my deep respect and gratitude to those who contributed so freely of their knowledge, skills and personal property when a fellow being was in need of aid. It was no mob of thrill seekers; it was neighborliness, seldom if ever found in areas outside Alaska. And yet, in the excitement we failed to take note of the many present whom we would later want to thank. So we take this means to say, “Thank you so very, very much. You were wonderful!” The youngsters received immediate and careful attention from our excellent hospital staff and physician. X-rays and exams showed no broken bones, a miracle in itself. Shock and horror was the greater of the damage to them and calm composure was long in returning. For all involved it was just a most harrowing experience.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017

Rendered 02/08/2018 23:42