The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

Back When...

Lowell Creek Flume, 1930s

 

Resurrection Bay Historical Society

An aerial photograph from the late 1930s showing the Lowell Creek flume.

An aerial photograph from the late 1930s showing the Lowell Creek flume.

Originally Lowell Creek ran through Seward, down what is now Jefferson Street and flooding was a common problem. In 1928 a wooden flume was built to confine the waters of Lowell Creek. The flume measured 12 feet wide and 8 feet deep. Bridges over Third and Fourth Avenues were built. Heavy rains in 1935 proved the flume did not solve the flooding problem. Rocks and debris packed the flume and the steam overflowed.

The flooding problem was finally solved by diverting the waters of Lowell Creek through a tunnel bored through Bear Mountain. That project was completed in 1940.

(Send your “Back when...” photo to the LOG for publication, editor@TheSewardPhoenixLOG.com.)

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2016

Rendered 12/15/2016 12:13