The Seward Phoenix Log - News of the Eastern Kenai Peninsula since 1966

Back When

Hospital opened in 1915

 

Photo courtesy of Lee Poleske

St. Francis Xavier Hospital, or as it was usually called Seward General Hospital, sat at the corner of Fifth and Jefferson where the Sacred Heart Church is now located.

9St. Francis Xavier Hospital, or as it was usually called Seward General Hospital, sat at the corner of Fifth and Jefferson where the Sacred Heart Church is now located.

Sacred Heart Catholic Church priest Father van der Pol proposed the building of a hospital in Seward in 1915. Through donations of money and land the hospital was built and opened Jan. 25, 1916. The Sisters of St. Joseph managed the hospital.

At that time Lowell Creek ran down what is now Jefferson Street and a flood in 1918 badly damaged the building. Because of the cost to repair the building plus the fact the hospital was operating at a loss, it was decided to close the facility.

In 1930 the vacant building was remodeled into a combined apartment house and hotel called the Annex and later Oceanview Apartments. The building was later torn down to make way for the current church.

(Send your “Back when...” photo to the LOG for publication, editor@TheSewardPhoenixLOG.com.)

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017

Rendered 12/14/2017 05:33