Out & About — April 26, 2012
Book Bash slated for Saturday
A Book Bash, for families with children 0-5 years old, will be hosted by the Seward/Moose Pass Imagination Library from 10:30-noon April 28 in the basement of Seward Community Library, 238 Fifth.
The local chapter of Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library strives to provide every child in the Seward and Moose Pass communities with free monthly mailings of quality books to children from birth to five years old.
The theme for the April 28 event is Alaskan Animal Adventures and there will be crafts, activities, snacks and reading related to the theme. The event is geared toward young children, but whole families are welcome to attend.
Enrollment in the free book program will be available at the event, and is also available online at www.imaginationlibrary.com.
Also available will be the free booklet “Alaska Project WILD Early Childhood Curriculum” that is full of fun activities for families to do together in the great outdoors and was donated by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
For information, call Jennifer DesErmia at 224-2066.
Saturday tea benefits library
A benefit tea party is set for 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, April 28, when Seward Library Museum volunteers host the event at Sacred Heart Catholic Church on Fifth. Silent auction baskets are part of the tea party action. Stuffed with generous donations by businesses from Seward, Kenai, Soldotna and Anchorage, the baskets give tea party guests chances to bid on trips, art, gardening, reading and quilting opportunities. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for children under 10 years old. They may be purchased at the Seward Library, from any Seward Community Library Museum Committee member, or at the door (space is limited, so advance purchase is recommended.) All profits will go toward the new Seward Community Library Museum.
Fish canning demonstration offered
A demonstration of canning fish in jars is scheduled for 6:30-8 p.m. Monday, April 30 at K.M. Rae Building, 125 Third. The University of Alaska Fairbanks Cooperative Extension Service session is intended for people who are new to canning fish at home or the veteran canner wanting an update. There is no charge for this class but registration is required. Call the Kenai Peninsula District Cooperative Extension Service Office at 1-800-478-5824 or 907-262-5824 to register.
Weed management meeting planned
The annual Cooperative Weed Management Area meeting is 10 a.m.-4 p.m. May 4 at the K.M. Rae Building, 125 Third. The free seminar will address invasive species management on public and private property. The meeting will cover Alaska Railroad and Department of Transportation vegetation management, weed control projects around the Kenai Peninsula, identification of freshwater plant species, using integrated pest management strategies in Seward, and responsible gardening in coastal Alaska.
CROP Walk set for May 6
The eighth annual CROP Walk in Seward is at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 6 beginning at the Alaska SeaLife Center and walking along the waterfront. The international fundraiser aims to end poverty worldwide. The Seward CROP walk will donate 25 percent of the funds raised to the He Will Provide food bank and the other 75 percent goes to help international communities with disaster relief.
Send listings for Out & About to editor@TheSewardPhoenixLOG.com.